Adding hardware to your kitchen cabinets is a quick and easy way to update a room and give it a finished look. Even inexpensive cabinets will benefit from a kitchen cabinet hardware makeover.
Kitchen Cabinet knobs come in all sizes, shapes and colors. Hardware comes in as many price ranges as it does options, making this an affordable project for any budget. Follow these steps to install new cabinet knobs.
1) Count all the cabinet drawers and cupboards that need new pulls. Decide if you want the same pull on the drawers as on the cabinets, or if you will install a handle on the drawers. Write down the number of each you need.
2) Pick out pulls from a home improvement store, hardware store or a department store. Some pulls must be special ordered. Don't buy the first pull you see. There are several varieties, and different stores carry different selections.
3) Decide where on the door face to install the pulls. Put a piece of blue painter's tape or masking tape in the general area. If you picked handles with two screws, measure the length between the two screws and mark both areas on the face. As a rule of thumb, you generally install pulls 1 1/2 inches from the vertical edge and 2 inches from the horizontal edge.
4) Measure and mark the exact distance on each cupboard for each pull. Use a level to make sure that the holes are in line. You may need to make slight adjustments on the markings according to the reading on the level.
5) Drill a 3/16-inch hole in the first cabinet. Put the screw from the pull into the hole to verify the fit. Adjust the hole accordingly. Continue to drill holes in each cupboard. Remove the blue tape and discard.
6) Insert the screw into the first hole. Twist the knob into the pull by hand and then tighten with either a Phillips or a flathead screwdriver. Check that the knob is secure. Install the remainder of the pulls.
7) Add washers to the screw if the pull does not fit tightly. If adding washers is not enough, use shorter screws. Take the pull to the store so that you can purchase screws with the correct diameter.